Hi folks, a warm welcome to the beautiful Old Smithy! Delicious food and drinks await outside or in the bar of North Devon’s most authentic thatched pub. We temporarily live in strange times so please read this information fully and carefully before you enjoy our beautiful inn!
Have you booked? - at the moment bookings are crucial to the orderly management of restaurants. We will take walk-in customers but please be aware that space inside can be limited due to social distancing. During holidays especially it is very advisable to book - we take bookings only for tables inside - tables outside are subject to weather conditions - a table umbrella will be provided - if e.g. it rains and you do not wish to stay then we will fulfill your order as a takeaway if you request it
- If you have any of the symptoms of the virus, please come again another time! We’ll be here!
- Choose a table and sit everyone in your group down if in the garden - if you haven’t booked please send ONE member of your group to enquire about an inside table. If you have all arrived in the same car or from the same family group, you can sit together
- Santise hands now! wash hands thoroughly (20 seconds) whenever appropriate
- Maintain a safe distance from people outside your group at all times
- Cutlery and condiments will be brought with your meal order
- Service is at one end of the bar only during this time with spaces marked for queuing (one person from a group at a time)
- We need a card behind the bar for tabs. If you are not paying as you go please run one tab per table and pay once at at the end if possible - request the bill from waiting or bar staff
- There are loos upstairs and in the bar - these are accessed on a one at a time basis please
- Tables are spaced carefully so please don’t move them! If you have pre-booked, we will lay them out for you before you arrive if it is possible (same household only please!)
- please pay contactless if possible or sort out cash at table - there is no service charge, but our lovely, hard-working staff always appreciate a tip (jar on bar)
and yes, we now do BnB in our beautiful new boutique rooms - please ask staff at the bar or check out our website!!!
Yes, we are super dog-friendly inside and out, upstairs and down but all dogs MUST be kept on a lead (no matter how cute please refrain from petting other folks’ doggies)
We are super family-friendly also, but the kids have to be supervised at all times, they have to stay with you and NO CLIMBING is allowed. Two kids at a time are allowed in the air hockey room (please remind them to sanitise before and after).